Monday, May 6, 2013

Ways of Being and Seeing: pt. 1 - Being


            How we are in relation to those around us is more central and real than what we actually do or say. For example, I may take the garbage out at my wife’s request, and lovingly say, “No problem, beautiful!” but what I’m really thinking and feelings is “Why does that bossy beast always make me do this? She never does anything around here.” While I am being begrudging, my wife and I are inwardly being divided because I am behaving contrary to how I am being. The reality of this situation is not me taking out the trash; rather, it is me living deceitfully in relation to my wife. Relationships of being are the fundamental, not the outward words and actions. This is not to say words or actions are nothing; rather, it is to say that what is behind them is what matters most.
            Our relation to the Savior is no different; if we follow the commandments or give service begrudgingly, to Him it is good for nothing. The Lord cares more for the desires of our heart than anything else (1 Samuel 16: 7; D&C 137: 9). He cares about who we are becoming as human-beings, not as human-doings. Consequently, the Savior was very serious about hypocrisy. On many occasions, He would call out the Pharisees for going through the motions without the right motivations.
            Regarding following the Savior, the prophet Nephi recorded, “Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I know that if ye shall follow the Son, with full purpose of heart [emphasis added], acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God, but with real intent, repenting of your sins, witnessing unto the Father that ye are willing to take upon you the name of Christ…” (2 Nephi 31: 13). Consequently, how we are being in relation to the Savior is a direct reflection of how we feel about him, and how much we are following Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your feelings in an uplifting way! I hope this can be a conduit of inspiration where many can discuss their beliefs and discover even more Truths to guide daily living.